Replacement canopy 10 x 10
: Awning window
parts : White honeycomb cordless cellular shades
Replacement Canopy 10 X 10
- the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another; "replacing the star will not be easy"
- The action or process of replacing someone or something
- substitution: an event in which one thing is substituted for another; "the replacement of lost blood by a transfusion of donor blood"
- A person or thing that takes the place of another
- refilling: filling again by supplying what has been used up
- the transparent covering of an aircraft cockpit
- the umbrellalike part of a parachute that fills with air
- Cover or provide with a canopy
- X10 may refer to: * North American X-10, an unmanned technology demonstrator for advanced missile technologies * X10 (programming language) * X10 (video game), a video game by Warthog Games Limited * SL X10, a Swedish suburban train * X10 (industry standard), wireless and wired (power line
Smarthome X10 XPMT4 LCD Mini Timer
The 64-Event X10 Mini Timer with dimmer can control up to eight different X10-comaptible devices, all at the press of a button or when scheduled. Simply set all of the modules to be controlled to the same house code as the X10 Mini Timer and schedule individual on/off times for each. You can even connect an appliance module to your coffee pot and set it to turn on 30 minutes before you wake up for fresh-brewed coffee. Timed events can be set for daily use or once only. With a total of 64 on/off times available, you can schedule devices to turn on and off multiple times each day.
Midtown Manhattan, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
The Knox Building, one of the finest Beaux-Arts style commercial buildings in the city, was designed by the notable New York City architect John H. Duncan. Built in 1902-02 as the headquarters of the Knox Hat Company, the building occupies an especially prominent . midtown Manhattan location on Fifth Avenue at 40th Street opposite the New York Rib lie Library.
The Knox Hat Company had been founded in 1838 by Charles Knox at 110 Fulton Street, east of Broadway. Much of lower Manhattan had been devastated by a major fire in 1835. In the period of recovery which followed, New York's retail businesses began to locate along Broadway and the adjacent side streets.
The Knox Company undoubtedly benefited from the popularity of beaver hats during that period, and business prospered until the Civil War. Sometime after the Civil War the company was taken over by Edward M. Knox (18417-1916), son of the founder. The younger Knox had enlisted with the Eighth New York Volunteers in the Union army after the fall of Fort Sumter, supposedly when he was only 17.
Commissioned a second lieutenant in the 15th Independent Light Battery H of the Irish Brigade (69th Regiment), he fought in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. He was wounded in the last of these, and almost completely paralyzed by the bullet in his thigh he was carried to the rear and later found by his father in a ruined church at Gettysburg."
He remained paralyzed for over two years, but recovered after an operation and rest cure in Geneva, Switzerland. Knox then returned to New York to assume management of the family hat business.
The company had been having financial difficulties because of litigation over a trademark and the destruction of the Fulton Street store in the 1865 fire that burned down the nearby P.T. Barnum's museum at Broadway and Ann Street. Edward Knox turned the business around and continued to expand "with the intention of making his name known wherever a hat was sold." The downtown store was rebuilt at 212 Broadway, next door to the National Park Bank.
This branch later moved into the Singer Building. As the fashionable shopping district moved northward on Broadway and Sixth Avenue to the area between Union Square and Madison Square, the Knox Hat Company followed the trend, opening another store in the Fifth Avenue Hotel at 23rd Street. Knox decided that the company should undertake its own hat manufacturing and established the Knox Hat Factory at St. Mark's and Grand Avenues in Brooklyn. A large brick structure with a corner tower, the guilding survives although without the mansard roof and four-faced clock that surmounted the tower. Below the clock was the inscription "Knox the Hatter."
Knox's own fortunes continued to expand with those of the company. He also invested profitably in real estate. In 1892 he was voted a medal of honor by the United States Congress for bravery at Gettysburg . The Grand Army of the Republic gave him a jeweled sword of honor as "the most popular and handsomest officer of the encampment." He was also elected colonel of the 69th Regiment and continued to use the title until his death.
By the turn of the century New York's retail trade was continuing its uptown move, establishing itself on Fifth Avenue between 34th and 42nd Streets. Among the prestigious merchants who located there were B. Altman (1906), Tiffany (1906), Gorham (1906), Lord & Taylor (1897-98), and Arnold Constable (1915-16). In 1901 Colonel Knox purchased land on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 40th Street, across from the site of the recently vacated reservoir where the New York Public Library was under construction, and commissioned a building from the noted New York architect John H. Duncan.
Duncan (1855-1929), a founding member of the Architectural League of New York in 1881, had established his own architectural practice in 1886. Shortly thereafter he won the competition to design the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, dedicated to the men who fought in the Union forces during the Civil War. Built in 1889-92, it is a monumental arch in the Roman Imperial tradition. In 1890 Duncan won the competition to design the General Grant National Memorial, more familiarly known as Grant's Tomb.
Built in 1891-97, It too was inspired by the Classical sources of Greek and Roman architecture. Colonel Knox had extensive connections with Civil War veterans and was an officer in the Grant Monument Association; undoubtedly Knox had met Duncan in his capacity as architect for the two memorials..
Following his work on the two monuments, Duncan began to acquire a clientele of affluent New Yorkers who commissioned him to design residences on the Upper East Side, in midtown Manhattan, and on West 76th Street. For his residential designs Duncan preferred the French sources pro
Upper West Side, Manhattan
Red House, an exceptionally handsome apartment building, located at 330 West 85th Street near the southeast corner of 'west 85th Street and Riverside Drive, was built in 1903-04. An early building designed by the firm of Harde L Short, Red House takes its name from the color of the brick facing, which is set off by an abundant use of light-colored terracotta ornament. The architects, Herbert S. Harde and Richard Thomas Short, were well known for their deluxe ear.lv twentieth-century New York apartment buildings, which included the Studio, Alwyn Court, and the 45 East 66th Street apartment building—all New York City Landmarks. The detailing introduced on Red House, including the use of the salamander and crown motif, baldacchino canopies, and window
s with, muIti-paned sashes organized in bays, were again used by Harde & Short in other apartment houses. This ornamentation recalls the sixteenth-century style of Francois I in its combination of Gothic and Renaissance elements.
Development of the Upper West Side
Until its urbanization at the end of the nineteenth century, the Upper West Side of Manhattan was referred to as "Bloomingdale." The name derives from the Dutch settlers who called the area Bloemendael in fond recollection of a flower-growing area in Holland. By the eighteenth century, Bloomingdale Road provided the main link between the city in lower Manhattan with the farmland of the Upper West Side. The Bloomingdale area itself retained much of its rural character until late in the nineteenth century. However, eventual development as an integral part, of the city was assured by the Commissioners' Plan of 1811, which imposed the uniform gridiron plan of lower Manhattan upon the gently rolling hills of upper Manhattan. In the first half of the nineteenth century, several large institutions established themselves on the Upper West. Side, attracted by the ready availability of land.
By the 1850s, a number of hoteIs appeared , catering to Manhattanites during the summer months; in the 1860s, the increase in the permanent population was reflected in the construction of a public school built at 82nd Street and Eleventh Avenue (later West End Avenue) which was followed by Ward School No. 54 at 104th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
By the end of the Civil War, it was apparent that the Bloomingdale area would soon be engulfed by the rapid! v expanding city. Thus, it was proposed to modify the gridiron plan of 1811 for the protection and preservation of the Hudson River shore. Subsequently, a plan was submitted to convert the undeveloped riverside belt of precipice into a landscaped ornamental park for the West Side from 55th Street to 155th Street. Also included was the replacement
in 1868-7! of
Bloomingdale Road by a wide avenue, with central grassy malls from 59th Street at Columbus Circle to 155th Street. The avenue was renamed the "Boulevard" and the "Public Drive." In 1899, the Boulevard and Public Drive were then changed to "Broadway" as a continuation of the older street south of Columbus Circle.
The residential development of the West Side was influenced by several, factors: the Hudson River Railroad, which extended from New York City to Albany, opened several local stations in the Bloomingdale section, which led to further improvements in transportation for the West Side; and the speculative builders of the East Side, the city's fashionable residential district, began to look to the West Side as prices increased on the East Side and in Harlem. By the 1890s, the press was portraying the Upper West Side as a desirable residential area. As a result, the upper middle class began for the first time to take the area seriously.
The district to the east of Riverside Park as far as Central Park is likely, or rather, sure to become within the next twenty Years, perhaps the location of the most beautiful, residences in the wo rid... the nearness of the parks and trie accessibility of the district will be insurmountable in popularity.
Although lacking the old family traditions of Fifth Avenue, the Upper West Side attracted a number of the city's wealthy and affluent residents who appreciated the beauty of Riverside Park and Drive, and the atmosphere of the adjacent side streets.
The Apartment House
Throughout the nineteenth century, street after street in Manhattan became lined with rows of attached, single family dwellings, and the Upper West Side was no exception. To the well-to-do New Yorker, the private rowhouse represented an entrenched urban ideal, deriving from A.J. Downing's philosophy of one family per house.- 'This attitude is clearly expressed in James Fenimore Cooper's observation: "You know that no American who is at all comfortable in life will share his dwelling with another." By the turn of the century, however, the cost of purchasing and maintaining a rowhouse in Manhattan had become so prohibitive that N
See also: asian paints shade stroller sun shades sliding door with built in blinds black and white polka dot drapes shades of brown paint panel track blinds ikea shelter logic canopy drapery panel
- (火) 09:38:32|
- Category: None